Monday, July 11, 2005

Spicy and hot are two very different things

This afternoon, I went looking for lunch at Scarborough Town Centre. I didn’t feel like Bourbon Grill or Mrs. Vannelli’s. I wanted something different… something homecooked… something… yum, West Indian.

I hurried over to Calypso Island Grill.

Usually, the most I buy from this restaurant is some fried plantains, but today I felt like some good West Indian grub.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comSo, I got some chow mein, Calypso chicken (spicy) and plantain. I should have turned the other way when I saw ‘calypso’ in front of the chicken. The last time I dined on ‘calypso’ chicken was years ago on an Air Canada flight to Barbados. The so-called calypso chicken was stewed chicken with pineapple and almonds.

Now, really, any West Indian reading this would know that we don’t use pineapples in cooking unless we’re making a sweet and sour chicken dish or pineapple upside down cake. And almonds? Unless you’re making a marzipan for your black cake, almonds are snacks, not ingredients for a meat dish.

But I digress.

Anyway, I began to eat the chicken and slowly the heat began to blaze in my mouth.

Lawd’a’mercy! De fire burnin’ troo my mouth! Lawd call de fire brigade!!! Dear Lord, my taste buds are exploding one by one from the intense heat!

Now, I’m not one who is scared for a little heat, but I understand West Indian cuisine to be flavourful, not just plain hot.

Scratch that, it wasn’t even hot; it was causing first degree burns on my tongue, lips and down my throat.

I leave that foolishness to the folks who make hot sauce with skull and crossbones on it. I don’t deal with that mess. I like food that has flavour, not food that’s blistering your tongue with scotch bonnet peppers.

So, when I read spicy, I’m thinking of some yummy West Indian seasoning – you know, the green stuff your mom/grandmother/auntie keeps in a glass jar in the fridge. It’s onions, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper – a dash of pepper, not an entire set of hot peppers – and slathered on everything from red snapper and flying fish to roast pork and fried chicken.

It’s what makes West Indian food ‘spicy’ as opposed to people who jook a big set of pepper in the food and try to pass it off as West Indian cuisine.

I’m vex, ‘cause I’m sitting here with $8 (yes, $8, chupse) of food that I’m scared to eat for fear long tears start to roll down my face because the heat is too much for my poor belly. It burn me going in and I pray it doesn't burn me coming out.

From now on, I will stick with my plantain and leave all that so-called ‘spicy’ meat to those with flame-retardant tongues.

I only wish I could get my so-and-so money back.

Chupse.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

that same spot caught me with that calypso chicken a few months back. i was sitting at town centre trying not to cry. I like spicy stuff and I can deal with even the hot indian stuff but I think that dish they got ther a bit obsessive andits not nice tasting. mind you i went back and had the jerk chicken from there another time and its actually quite pleasant.

Monday, July 11, 2005 5:35:00 PM  
Blogger Campfyah said...

But you should have asked for your money back. Hot and spicy are two different things and they using that excessive hot to hide the lack of seasonings and taste in the food. Tell dem bout themselves.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger -_- said...

FIRE BRIGADE!?!!!!!!!!

LMAO X 100.

One time my pastor a preach and 'im seh dat. Mi did axe mi Daddy... "What's that". 'Im seh is one ole British term for di fire department. LMAO. Laughs laughs.

Anyway dem so called West Indian restaurants inna malls are WASTE, as Starfoxx would say. -chupse- There was one in the Eaton Centre and di man always come inna mi store trying fi tell me and one next sista fi buy 'im goat meat. YUH MUSSI MAD. Mi only nyam dem ting suh a mi yad or mi family or West Indian frien' house. -chupse again- (mumbling) Dem a serve wata down food and a try fi tell white folks dem is West Indian... CUPPA!!

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home