Thursday, July 07, 2005

Every action has a reaction

My sister burst into my bedroom this morning asking me if I heard what happened in London.

Half-asleep, I said, “what? Something happened?” I checked my alarm clock, 7:38 am. Yes, I like to sleep to the very last second before getting up for work.

“Turn on the news,” she said as she hustled out.

I flipped to CNN to see pure confusion in London. Bloodied people, a double-decker bus that looked like King Kong ripped it in two to see inside. I saw images of commuters covered in soot who were trapped underground in the subways.

And I said to myself: Damn. What the heck is going on?

What is the world coming to?

I sound like my mother, but you would think sometimes there is no safe haven. Everyone’s on edge ‘cause you don’t know when it’ll be your country’s turn for some terrorist action and you’ll be running from a burning building or trapped on an exploding subway train.

Someone on BlackPlanet said something very interesting… and very truthful: every action has a reaction. For years, countries of the Western world have invaded other nations and killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people. Now, we’re seeing what it’s like on the receiving end.

But we’re dealing with a different type of terrorist/soldier – ‘cause, remember, after the U.S. blows up a small village in Iraq, those folks think that Bush and Co. and every fresh faced soldier in that platoon are terrorists. So who’s a terrorist depends on whether or not you’re standing in the rubble.

When you’re dealing with people who aren’t afraid to die, you’ve got a problem. If Prime Minister Blair can find and prosecute the people who bombed London today, great! He can arrest them and throw them in jail…

Unfortunately, there will be about a thousand or more people waiting to take over and be the next suicide bomber. Our countries need to think differently about why people – these “Islamic extremists” – believe that bombing innocents is the only way to incite change.

And why we think invading sovereign nations is OK, while bullies like North Korea's Kim Jong Il – who is plotting to put a nuclear bomb in Bush’s backside – run free.

8 Comments:

Blogger Campfyah said...

You guys couldn't have said it better. I totally agree with you jellibeenz, that statement is just a cop out...the terrorist are always two or even three steps ahead of the superpowers of the US, Britian, Germany ect.

We just all have to say our prayers daily, because we never know when it will be our turn next. So sad, but like U Sista said..every action has an equal and opposite reaction. There are reprecussions for the things we do.

Friday, July 08, 2005 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

^^ co-sign. but did you hear how canada was on their list next? what the hell did we do?

Friday, July 08, 2005 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

@jellibeenz - isn't starting to sound like a comic book? Bush says: "We're going to fight the evildoers! We stand for truth, justice and the American way!" Awww shaddap. The so-called 'American way' is part of the reason things are so messed up.
@campfyah - the saddest thing in all of this are that innocent people are being killed on both sides. We should put Osama, Bush and Blair on an island and let them fight it out.
@starfoxx - my dad was telling me that. I guess it's because we have some peacekeeping forces in Afghanistan. Thankfully, we're not a world power like the UK or US, so I'd be surprised if anything actually happened here. But these people are looking to make examples of the Western world, so from that point of view, I wouldn't be shocked if something did go down.

Friday, July 08, 2005 1:43:00 PM  
Blogger Campfyah said...

U.Sista, don't be so sure, anyone who has or is helping in the so called war against terror in Iraq and Afghanstan is targeted. superpower or not. The main aim of htese terrorist is to hit the West and hit us hard, to show us that no matter what security measures we think we have in place that they are always two steps ahead of us and we are vunerable.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 1:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Campfyah....I agree totally.

We should remember that these terrorists have access to watch news from around the world just like we do. When they hear that Canadians think it can't happen to them, I feel that's exactly when they will strike.

They're indiscriminate and don't care. The less prepared we are, the better it is for them because there will be ultimate destruction and that's exactly what they want!

Michelle

Saturday, July 09, 2005 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger -_- said...

What did Canada do, the yung wun asketh??

For not having a mind of their own (I say 'their', because the government never asks for MY views, PAH!) and eventually bowing down to "Big Brother" Bush. It's a joke. They say they won't fight in the war and the U-S gets mad. Forget 'em! Let 'em get mad, if it means our lives will be spared!

Then again, the Bible did say it's the last and closing days and such things were to happen... and all things in the Good Book must be fulfilled.

/end

Monday, July 11, 2005 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger -_- said...

Oh yeah...and I agree with everything that Michelle said. Thumbs up.

I can't all of this "be on the lookout for anybody suspicious". Who the hell is suspicious? Just because somebody is wearing a hijab doesn't mean they're packing explosives. And on that tip... media have turned the religion of Islam into a RACE. Yes, everything is Muslim this, Muslim that. I could very well be a Muslim and be Black. There are millions of Caucasian Muslims... Philipino, West Indian, you name it. It ain't the second largest religion in the world for nothing.

Chuh man! Di eediot dem got mi all work up!

Monday, July 11, 2005 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

I don't believe that we're immune to terrorism. We may be in for some scary times of our own. But in terms of power on the world stage? Canada's low on the totem pole.

I'm sure that the terrorists know that the majority of Canadians don't think it'll ever happen to us and that may be the reason why they would attack. But these attacks have been strategic.

So, if they can find a strategic reason to hit Canada (upsetting one of the so-called friendliest countries in the world, possibly) I wouldn't be surprised.

I guess in my peace-loving (ha!) Canadian way, I'm thinking that everyone sees Canada as a peaceful place that doesn't cause any trouble. I'm sure I'm wrong.

Monday, July 11, 2005 9:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home