Monday, May 30, 2005

I'm it!

So, Marlo tagged me and I have the musical baton. Cool – I’ll let you know what I have in my digital crates…

Total volume of music on my computer

Well over 1600 songs. Some of these are from CDs I bought, downloaded music from questionable sites and downloaded music from pay-per-use sites. I’ve been burned enough times over the years to not want to buy any more CDs.


Nowadays, I am very happy shelling out a few dollars for virus/spyware-free music from MSN.ca or getting the hookup from my co-worker who always seems to get new music before it’s released.

No way am I going to buy Jennifer Lopez’s entire album for Get Right. No way in hell.

Waste of cash: Last CD(s) I bought

It has been a long time since I’ve bought a CD, but like Marlo’s situation, HMV was have a two for $30 sale and I decided to buy Kanye West’s College Dropout and Jill Scott’s Beautifully Human, Vols. I & II.

Sigh.

With Mr. West’s album, I loved Jesus Walks, Through the Wire and All Falls Down – three songs that, I assumed, set the tone for the rest of the CD. Well, I made an ass outta me, ‘cause the rest of the album sucked. Maybe it didn’t suck, but it certainly wasn’t the hip hop that I’d been looking for. I loved Jill Scott’s first two CDs, so why wouldn’t I like number three? I based my purchase on that and was disappointed. I enjoyed one song, Golden, and that was that. The CD is sitting on my CD rack collecting dust.

Amerie could have been one of those sad purchases. I loved her first album All I Need, so when I heard her sophomore album, Touch, was going to drop, I wanted it. I almost bought it. Yo, when I heard it at Marlo’s place, I wasn’t impressed. Every song sounds like 1Thing – cool if you’re a Go Go fan. I, as you probably know, am not.

What sucks is that I can’t return the CDs because HMV will only let you exchange – obviously because of the thousands of thieves who will burn the CD and take it back.

So, those were the last CDs that I bought – why should Kanye make money off of me and I don’t even get a good CD out of it. This is why I will buy Omarion’s Touch online and he can keep the rest of his CD.

Song playing right now

Image hosted by Photobucket.comActually, I’m not playing anything right now – my MP3 player is sitting snugly in my handbag in my desk. But, if I were to be listening to music, today feels like a Bobby Valentino day and I’d be listening to Give Me A Chance, Bobby Valentino feat. Ludacris.

There’s something about that song that just makes me think about beaches, aquamarine water and resort life. I feel like dashing on a white bathing suit when I hear that song and strutting by the pool... unfortunately, I doubt the folks at work would take to me sitting at my desk in a bikini while I create stories for our Intranet.

Dang, I need a vacation.

Five songs I listen to a lot or mean a lot to me

I Can’t Make You Love Me – Bonnie Raitt (1991). I’ve loved this song for a dog’s age. It’s the wanting… the pining in the song that makes it just so sad, yet good. It reminds me of all the times I’ve loved off some likkle frou-frou boy only to have him not like me. High school was very much like that…


I Like the Way (The Kissing Game) – Hi Five (1992). This was my joint way back in 1992 when I was in my last year at Lachine High in Lachine, Quebec. I hated high school – no fun stories like Starfoxx – mainly pain, suffering and gnashing of teeth. But in 1992, I knew the end way nigh. I was going to get my tail the heck out of high school and go to CEGEP (our version of junior college) where I could reinvent myself. My prom was cool, ‘cause it was the first time my parents’ let me go to a school dance and they played my song. And I couldn’t wait to be finished with all those wretches from LHS.

One More Chance – Notorious B.I.G. (1994). First things, first, I, Sista, freaks all honeys, dummies, playboy bunnies, those wanting money… I know I’m a nerd. I so wanted to be in this video. My young girlfriends and I would daydream about going to the club and hanging out, just like folks in Biggie’s video did. Then, recently, I heard El Debarge’s Stay With Me and I made the connection. Both of those songs are still hot. Juicy and Big Poppa were also tight tracks – made even better when I heard the originals that were sampled.

Silver and Gold – Kirk Franklin & The Family (1993). This is one of my favourite gospel tracks. I was working at Mr. Rapps factory (the summer before my third year of university, I worked for the evil Mr. Rapps at a factory in west-end Montreal. My job was to stuff athletic knapsacks – Michigan, UNLV, Grambling – with stiff brown paper. This was a wakeup call to me that I needed to finish my degree and get the hell out of Montreal before this became my life...) and the people there were about to drive a young Urban Sista to drink. So, I pulled out my Kirk Franklin cassette and played that song all day long. Suffice it to say, I finished my degree, moved to T.O. and never stepped into Mr. Rapps factory again.

Pump Me Up – Krosfyah (mid ‘90s). This song reminds me of my beautiful island, Barbados. When I hear this song, I’m transported to Bridgetown, Barbados and I’m standing in front of Cave Shepherd watching the people go by as my sister receives no service from the disgusted salespeople in the jewellery and fragrance departments. Or, I’m chilling at my aunt’s in St. Philip, listening to my cousin’s girlfriend tell me stories about the evil steel donkey and duppies all around. I love BIM and I can’t wait to go back.

So, who to tag? I’d like to hear what
Ms. Solitaire has to say about her music as well as wild child Starfoxx15. If Lady Abena checks in, I’m sure she’d have some live choices as well.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

so does everyone in the island lime in front of cave shepherd lol

man doan treat kanye so bad, at least never let me down is a prety decent song too. cuhdear!

Monday, May 30, 2005 5:00:00 PM  
Blogger Fresh said...

I hate it when you buy a cd and think it's going to be BOMB and you only enjoy one or two songs.

I felt this way back in the day when I brought Memphis Bleek's first cd with some babysitting money I earned. And this was when cd's was $19.99 mind you so I PISSED. I feel for you like Chaka girl...

Monday, May 30, 2005 8:53:00 PM  
Blogger -_- said...

LOL...I like how you liked Kanye's singles, and not the hidden gems like "Spaceship", "Family Business" and "The New Workout Plan" and "School Spirit". I love all of those songs and I STILL didn't buy the cd (I burned it, HE HE HE)

I'm really liking that young Valentino's "Slow Down". It sound breezy and nice.

I hear you with Jill's latest. I loved "Golden" and that's about it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like Amerie's. I only paid 9.99 so that ain't too bad. I only like the Carl Thomas joint.

Anyhoo I listed my picks (I cheated, heh). Wets take a wisten! (Eddie Murphy as Buckwheat)

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 12:57:00 AM  
Blogger ladyabena said...

Girl, you know I love my music and I love your blogs because they get me thinking and I have been on quite a music tip since my most recent groupie ventures. I will have to go write my own blog!

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:52:00 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

kanye rocks. you need to listen to amerie again.

i'm SURPRISED you like bobby valentino. ghetto soul. ick. slow down is about the only track worth talking about. his high-schoolish lyrics get him MAJOR wack points.

i can't make you love me is one of the most poignant songs. since something to talk about i have been a fan of bonnie's scratchy vocals. so what, she's been around forever and we're late with the admiration... at least we recognize dopeness when we hear it! LOL

soca.

ick.

LOL

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

Aw shucks... you tagge dme too? Damn I'm getting so much cyber love on this blogger thing, I should save it and tuck it underneath my pillow. hahahahahaha.. did that make sense?

I agree with you on spending money on CDs? Why? The artist will get at least fifteen cents from it. I can give them a quarter in their hands and they can keep the change for the treatment for their next video. hahahahahaha

Love the song choices. "One More Chance" was my song in grade five. hahahahahahaha. I never went to any of my school dances either, save for prom. My self-respect, not my parents, was what wouldn't let me. Ass in the air to the sounds of Rupee? I think not. At least, not in front of my teachers. hahahahahaha

I downloaded Mario's and 112 latest.. and it just confirmed the fact why I shouldn't spend my hard earned cash on BS. Those LPs sucked goat balls!!

Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kissing Game and One More Chance are classic summer jams. They just don't make them like that anymore.

I wish record execs would take the time and find some real talent. Not attempt to pass of the Ciara's and Ying Yang Twins' of the world as talent. Ying Yang Twins, yuck!!

That said, I do see hope on the horizon with Anthony Hamilton, John Legend, Kanye and a few other new guys.

B.

Friday, June 03, 2005 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger Dayrell said...

I'm sorry girl...I gotta be against you on this one...LOL. You mean you HATED Jill's CD??! Noooo! I thought it was absolutely GREAT! Hey, but it's cool...people have their own opinons and I respect that.

Monday, June 13, 2005 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger ..Sue...Zette... said...

I love that song..."I Can't Make You Love Me"...wow...I thought you were the only one

Sunday, June 19, 2005 8:28:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

@Dayrell & Soli - I'll take another listen... maybe the CDs will grow on me.

Monday, June 20, 2005 4:18:00 PM  
Blogger Radmila said...

Oh the Bonnie Raitt song...I'm just waiting for someone else to do it.
She's a brilliant songwriter, but her voice is weak...I want to hear that song done by Etta James, or someone stronger....

Saturday, July 02, 2005 4:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home