Friday, July 15, 2005

More women delaying motherhood until 30s

I certainly didn’t need Statistics Canada to tell me this.

I’m almost – scratch that, just call me 30, ‘cause my birthday’s around the corner.

When I was younger, I totally expected to be married by 25 and a mother sometime after that.

I’m a little late.

I’m not married and I have no children. The majority of women I know are in the same place.

It only makes sense in today’s society to wait to have children. If you want a career, you need a post-secondary education, so that’s another three or four years just for a bachelor’s degree.

After the degree, you wanna start the career. My first job in journalism was a contract that paid minimum wage. I was the working poor. How in the name of peace was I going to support a baby if I could barely afford to buy subway tokens?

Really.

When I was about 25 or so, a study came out saying that the optimal age for childbearing was 21 and after that age women were going to find it harder to conceive and have healthy, normal children.

I could hear the weeping in the streets by all the professional women who want kids, but needed to start their careers first in order to support said children. Factor in finding a decent man, 'cause it's pretty easy to have children with a worthless man, a little more difficult to have a child with someone who will help you support the baby.

At 21, I was in a university lecture hall, not a birthing centre. I was in no way ready to have a child. And who was I having this child with? If I wasn’t ready to have a baby at 21, the young men I knew would have been taken away by Children’s Services.

And even the women who weren't in university, they have reasons for not having a child at 21. For those of you who did have kids early, that's great and you're probably better women than me, 'cause I don't know if I was even emotionally ready then to sacrifice myself for a child... but that's another blog.

So, now, Statistics Canada – and all these media outlets – are telling me that women are waiting until their 30s to have children.

Duh.

Tell me something I don’t know.

6 Comments:

Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

I'm 21 right now, and I live with my mother. Where and when am I going to find time to bone someone to get knocked up? If I did find myself pregnant, my mom woudl beat it out of me, and my father/brothers would kill the father. in one short moment, the kid would be raised in a broken home. ahhahahahha. I definately need to wait until I'm thirty because hopefully I'll be off my medication by then and be mentally stable to start a family...hahahaa

Saturday, July 16, 2005 6:56:00 PM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

@starfoxx15 - girl, you're too crazy! I hear you, though. At 21, I was trying to figure out what's going on and finish university. I had no time for babies... and my mother would have beat it out of me too ;)
@big n - I think that women still want to have children (and having 75 maids would make it easier, for real), but I believe it's not a priority for younger women. Once you start hitting late 20s or your 30s, that biological clock starts ticking loudly. But I don't know many women who want to spend all their time birthing any man's children :P

Monday, July 18, 2005 9:42:00 AM  
Blogger Jdid said...

lol @ stars comments.

my boy and me had this whole rather detailed rather dare I say elitist take on this whole thing. to make it short the so called smart folks have kids later and the not so smart folks have kids earlier and they also have more kids. what this leads to is dumber and dumber people outnumbering the smart ones and well you get the point. we came up with it as a joke but when you really think about it it makes you say hmmm

Monday, July 18, 2005 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

i don't know that i "delayed" it as much as it just didn't happen...

it's nothing new, though.

and btw, urban sis, your sexy bikini wearing icon is grammatically incorrect. :)

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 3:22:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

@jdid - you make a point to an extent. There are some well-educated, professional couples who did get started early, but once you start having kids in your teens and early 20s it's a lot more difficult to get that career moving. Not impossible, just more difficult.
@MG - I'm sure you could have, if you really wanted to, found a guy to have a child with. But you were doing things -- finishing school, getting Marlo up and running, etc. So, maybe you chose to wait until the right time.

And why'd you have call out my icon? I know it's incorrect, but, heck, I made the dang thing months ago and couldn't be bothered to open up Photoshop and fix it.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger -_- said...

Continue to tell it like it is, sis.
Starfoxx is a nut! hahahaha. Girlfriend always has me cracking up.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 12:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home