Friday, February 04, 2005

Da Kink in My Hair

[Ed. Note: Da Kink in My Hair is an excellent production by Trey Anthony now playing at the Princess of Wales Theatre. Support Black theatre in Toronto!]

I've learned to embrace and love my kinky, nappy, sometimes unruly Black hair.

Trust me, it took a good 25 years of my life for me to reach that revelation and see my hair for what it is: an extension of my Blackness. And, if I'm proud of my heritage, I should be proud of every roll, kink, knot and pepper that grows out of my scalp.


When I was younger, I always wanted long, silky hair -- like Tatyana Ali from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I would fry my hair with hot combs and curling irons, chemicals and soak it in gel with the hopes that it would spring, long, luscious and straight from my head and I would be the pretty, long-haired Black girl.

That never did happen.

So, as I got older, I learned to love the fluff on my head and work with it -- not against it. I'll still drop some chemicals in it to smooth out some of the curl (and so I can comb it). I'll pull out my gel and slick it back into a ponytail. I'll blow it out straight, for my R&B diva look or I'll drop some weave or braids in it. And some days -- like today -- I'll let my heritage take control and go happy and nappy.

Ironically, white people are enamored by the same hair I wanted to trade for their flowing tendrils.

"I wish my hair could do the things yours does!" one of my white co-workers said this morning.

Funny.

Fifteen years ago, I would have gladly traded in the hair I fought with in a heartbeat. Today? Not a chance. I don't think I would or could have as much fun with anyone else's hair.

So, I just smiled at my co-worker and ran my hand over my bushy, curly 'fro, thinking about the next style I was going to try out.

Enjoy the hair you were blessed with - thick and kinky or long and silky and everything in between.

Thank God for Black hair.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

amen sis, got to love what god gave ya

Friday, February 04, 2005 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

Yo Soli, I went to the play last Saturday and it was excellent. It was worth every penny. Mirvish has extended the run, so hopefully, it'll still be around when you land the big job ;)

Friday, February 04, 2005 2:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jdid said...

yall hit a good topic there. why do white folks like to feel up black people hair or in my case head since I usually keep my hair pretty low. I remember when I was in university this igrant johnny ask me if when i wash my hair I can juss shake my head out an dry it like if I was a dog, I had to let he know who hair look more like a canines. blasted idiot!

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

Soli, use HTML tags in you title and you'll get bold or italics, etc.

Jdid, some people just REAL ignorant -- ignorant until it's a sin. And these same people are very happy in their ignorance. That person is probably wondering until this day why you had to cuss him. Luckily for me, people I deal with are curious, not stupid.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 1:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more with all the comments.

I've recently discovered all my hair's natural powers. Funny thing is, I was able to do it all along. Kind of like that girl from Oz with the red shoes....

The nice thing now is that with every style and texture, it's an adventure. Now how many white girls get fun and adventure with their hair every day? No wonder they wanna touch our hair!

But as someone said, hands off. I don't touch you, you doan touch me! Period.

Ah ah ah...hands off the crown : )

Mich

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home