Monday, January 17, 2005

CNN.com: UK's Brown: Write off Africa debts

As I sit here burning CDs for a product launch -- late and disorganized as usual -- I journeyed to CNN.com to read what's going on in the world. I actually prefer CNN.com to CNN on TV -- print journalism is always less sensational anyway. I saw this story: UK's Brown: Write off Africa debts.

It seems like someone is using some common sense when it comes to African debts to the industrialized world. The same industrialized nations that raped Africa for years have slapped the continent with a heavy debt load.

Heck, borrow money to buy grain or let your people starve -- what would you choose?

"British Treasury chief Gordon Brown on Monday called on wealthy nations and international financial institutions to write off Africa's debt, saying debts incurred by past generations are keeping the continent poor," wrote CNN.com.

It's not the complete solution, but it's definitely a start. Africa's been beaten down since the 1600s, it's time for a change for the entire continent, not just some countries.

I woke up to a windchill warning this morning -- I had to leave my house at 6:40 am because of this dyam product launch. Lord give me strength, we still aren't ready and the press release is on the wire... But I digress.

We thought we had it bad with our -10 degree weather? Think again. Read this interesting story from CNN.com, Embarrass, Minnesota, hits 54 below. Not celsius, they are experiencing minus 54 below Fahrenheit -- that's about -65 Celsius.

And I don't think that includes windchill.

That is sheer madness.

Embarrass, Minnesota is no place for people to live. That is the Arctic and no one should be forced to live in the Arctic. I bet the residents of Embarrass would cry, but their tears would freeze and that isn't worth it.

I don't like winter -- but I prefer Toronto's semi-mild winters to a cold ass winter in Embarrass, Minnesota. Believe that.

Anyway, back to this blasted launch.

Hurry, hurry done fast, never done right.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

I see dat article on embarrass and wonder who in they right mind name a place so. Ya cud imagine this conversation. "So whapart you from?" "Embarrass." "Wha you suh embarrass bout, wha um cann be dat bad" :-)

Hear you on the debt forgiveness. Its not going to work though because organizations like the IMF and World Bank make their money and their status from keeping smart countries under their heels.

Monday, January 17, 2005 3:48:00 PM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

^LOL!

True, all these organizations are not in the business of empowering nations. They are in the business of making money. It's a shame, but, unfortunately, that's the way of the world.

Monday, January 17, 2005 4:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home