Friday, January 14, 2005

Brainy women face handicap in marriage stakes: British survey

Morning, y'all,

One of the Bajan Girls sent me this news story that says the same thing smart women have been saying for years: it's darn hard to find a man, much less marry a good one.

I didn't need a news agency to tell me that. When I was in university (raise the roof for Concordia U. in Montreal!), I was chatting to some dude in my usual hangout, Eaton Centre.

"So, what do you do?"

"I'm in school," I answered, probably waiting for Marianne's tail to stop giggling under some guy.

"What school do you go to? Dawson? Vanier?" Dawson and Vanier were two very popular CEGEPs in the city. You attend CEGEP first, then you go on to university. Unfortunately, a lot of the young Black people in Montreal would do one year of CEGEP and deem it too hard. They'd go off and work for the hospital making $19 or $20 an hour. A lot of money when you're 18, not so much when you're 28.

"I graduated from Dawson in May. I'm at Concordia."

"University?"

"Yes."

"Really. So, you think you're smart," he said smugly, like he knew something I didn't.

"Think I'm smart?" Why would he ask me that? "I know I''m smart."

That was the end of that. He wanted nothing more to do with me -- maybe it was my snarky response... Maybe he was a jackass... I don't know.

As one of the Bajan Girls said, "ahhh....so that's my problem..... If I had known, I would have saved some money on the BA : )"

No girl. It was worth it -- heck, you could be single and working at Walmart. And then you'd feel REALLY dry.

More than smart women finding men less interesting, I think some men find smart women intimidating. And that is where the problem lies. When a man believes that he should be the smartest person in the relationship and can't appreciate an intelligent woman, of course the woman isn't going to find him interesting. She's going to find him to be an idiot.

Women have found ways around this for years: "Smart women (especially smart, BLACK women) have known this from time. But i have learned a trick from my mother--just let the man THINK he's smarter than you, and it's all good. his fragile, silly little ego is kept in check, and you have the relationship you've always wanted. certainly not talking about dumbing anything down, but really, men don't like women smarter than them," said Marlo Girl.

Sigh. That's just too much work for me.

Anyway, read the article. All comments are welcome!

Brainy women face handicap in marriage stakes: British survey

LONDON (AFP) - A high IQ is a hindrance for women wanting to get married while it is an asset for men, according to a study by four British universities published in The Sunday Times newspaper.


The study found the likelihood of marriage increased by 35 percent for boys for each 16-point increase in IQ.

But for girls, there is a 40-percent drop for each 16-point rise, according to the survey by the universities of Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

The study is based on the IQs of 900 men and women between their 10th and 40th birthdays.


"Women in their late 30s who have gone for careers after the first flush of university and who are among the brightest of their generation are finding that men are just not interesting enough," said psychologist and professor at Nottingham University Paul Brown in The Sunday Times.

Claire Rayner, writer and broadcaster, said in the article that intelligent men often prefered a less brainy partner.

"A chap with a high IQ is going to get a demanding job that is going to take up a lot of his energy and time. In many ways he wants a woman who is an old-fashioned wife and looks after the home, a copy of his mum in a way."


4 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

Interesting. Let me open a can of worms. I think some of it is intimidation on the part of the men but the problem also arises where if the person is alot more educated, your interests,goals,thoughts on certain concepts beliefs etc may be different. Of course thats usually true in most relationships. Then its difficult to carry on a proper conversation and since the men are acting a fool and forgetting education well guess who loses out by not having enough men you view as eligible mates. you guys.

Also, there is a belief by men that educated women (or women who are more educated than you) have lots of attitude and will drop your tired high school diploma having tail when a dude with her education level comes along. you know its just like the belief amongst black women that your man will dump you for a white girl when he makes it big.

Friday, January 14, 2005 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

I know my mom always told me not to marry someone who was less educated than me for those reasons. But, it's not just about education, it's about being a well-rounded person. I think that the men this article talks about like to have women who are dependant on them.

Remember in The Best Man, when Morris Chesnut is knocking Nia Long's character because she's a business woman? He said, "A woman like that is as good as lesbian -- what she need a man for?"

I think lots of men are upset when they hear a woman say she's independent. They don't understand that she may not need a man to support her financially, but everyone wants a soft place to fall.

Even smart chicks.

Friday, January 14, 2005 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Ka said...

Is anyone surprised by this study?.Basically we're screwed!!I'm a Concordia girl too!RARARA!!.

Friday, January 21, 2005 1:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with this article. Fortunately, I'm one of the lucky ones to be in a relationship with a man who, I don't think would be interested in me if I was dumb. I think he's attracted by the fact that I'm smart. I say this because of the type of conversations that we have. And because I'm tired of dating men who are not interested in what's going on with the world, and are not interested in exploring the universe, I decided not to settle. And he's black! Don't know what the future brings, but for now I'm very happy.

Stop thinking that you're screwed, ladies. Nuttin nuh go suh. Would you rather settle for a man who's intimidated by your intelligence? The energy you put out in the universe is just what you get back. Don't settle for a stupid man who doesn't respect your intelligence. Some men find it sexy!

Thursday, February 03, 2005 3:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home