Thursday, December 16, 2004

Beautiful people?

"HOT PARTIES, BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE AND YOU DON'T NEED A BRIEFCASE TO CARRY IT"

This is the tagline for Warner & Associates. For those of you who aren’t familiar, this is an entertainment group that puts on some really hot parties in the Toronto area. I can’t lie, the two Warner events I went to were pretty good (two all white wear affairs). My sister and my friend may disagree on the calibre of the party people, but, hey, if I spent money, I’m going to have a good time.

But I digress.

The question I wanted to ask is: is it me, or are the beautiful people not so beautiful anymore?

This week, I got a Warner event e-mail and the so-called beautiful people adorn the page. I’m not talking about the models who are posing up a storm, I’m talking about the snapshots that are taken at the events. I’m not dissing anyone, ‘cause you don’t have to be America’s Next Top Model (go Eva! GO!) to be an attractive person.

But, heck, from what I read in the e-mails, I’m expecting Boris Kodjoe types to be lining the walls of the party.

Ha! I had been fooling myself. I walked into the jam and saw some cute guys, but for the most part the people where like me: cute, but far from supermodel status. Not a crack on anyone, but a fact.

"Warner events are more commercial," says one of my co-workers as I question him those the window in my cube. "Those parties just contribute to stereotypes – an elitist, bougie, chi-chi poo-poo, stush party." I guess Warner attracts the clientele he wants.


You walk in and there are women, who will spend hundreds of dollars on hair, makeup, clothes, etc. to fit into that stereotype of the ‘beautiful woman’, and guys lining the walls trying to pick and choose from who has the nicest booty to who is the prettiest woman in the room.

And it seems like some of the people who go to these parties actually believe the hype. If I attend a Warner jam, I am part of the beautiful people.

No, star, you’re not.

Trust, I like to pose up with the best of them (remember, I’m an R&B diva), but while I think I’m cute, I don’t take myself too seriously.

Guy, I’ve heard plenty of men complain about the women who attend these jams. There’s nothing wrong with knowing and believing that you look good, but to refuse to speak – like pretend you’re mute – to a guy, who is attractive, but not drop dead gorgeous is just plain rude.

It’s not just Warner jams, though. I’ve seen that behaviour at the limited number of clubs that I’ve ever been too – including Studio 69. Who remembers Studio? That was some good fun right there… well, at least the two times I went.

I’m just picking on Warner ‘cause I got his e-mail this morning.

I’m not taking this seriously – don’t ban the Warner parties if you like them. There is nothing wrong with dressing all fancy and posing up.

Just a little Urban Sista commentary, that’s all.


6 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

Of course they believe the hype. The Toronto crowd is very "I'm very into myself, please dont try to make small talk with me ish" or to simplify 'summa dem real unmannerly'

Never been to Warner's parties but I remember studio 69. Nothing wrong with looking like a diva and carrying yourself with grace and dignity but some people just go a bit too far with the attitude.

Thursday, December 16, 2004 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

the problem is that when you pay that much money on hair nails dress suit shoes purse -- and then another 30 dollars fi party (and not even a horse dover!) you really don't want to sweat out your flyest gear.

and that makes the party boring.

my girl bainstar and i have discovered the secret to enjoying the stushness that is toronto: get tipsy wherever and whenever you go out (tipsy, i said, not falling-down-piss-ass drunk) so that way everyone you meet and talk to is as interesting, fabulous and gorgeous as they think they are.

that way no one gets cheated; you have a good time, and the beautiful people have their insecurities met. warner makes his dollar (ain't hatin' on a bruh; negro's got ish locked down) and a good time is had by all.

i haven't been in a while, though. i'm no longer on his guest list. i used to date a friend of his, and since we've parted ways, i'm no longer an a-lister.

truth of the matter is though, i just can't make the math of a 30-dollar entry to a 10-dollar club work out in my mind. i'd rather take the 30 bucks and buy something fly at stitches. : )

Thursday, December 16, 2004 2:49:00 PM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

They've gotta be cool -- I work there ;)

Monday, December 20, 2004 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger ladyabena said...

Thank you for the forum to comment on Warner jams. I personally can't stand them. I consider myself a very serious party girl but I have never enjoyed the vibe at these jams. Never mind that I am not paying that kind of money for a regular club. And yes I put Studio into this category and even Chocolate Lounge is similar. The last time I went to this so called 'up scale' club we got pepper sprayed. Can you imagine? And when I called the next day to ask what kind of poison they were responsible for having me ingest they told me they couldn't tell me but I need to understand that sometimes this happens at black parties but I could have a free dinner. Did they really think I would ever go back? And that's what happens? Nice perspective. It really saddens me because it's like we can't have a classy affair? And Warner jams - if they work for you that's great but I don't need to see 'bashy trashy' (yes me and my girls have some made up terms) and snobby haters sew some paper towel together and call it a dress. And all that hard work just to come and pose with a screw face?! No thanks, I go out to have fun. And speaking of made up words: the men at Warner jams (not all but some) fall into our definition of 'trickery' - that is to put on sunglasses and/or a hat and dress nice but look good from far but far from good. You with me? I don't go through this when trying to go somewhere nice in Boston, NYC or Florida. T. we have to pick it up.
Don't worry there is hope. I went to the urban music awards about a month ago and afterwards I went to the Little X party. It was nice. Lot's of beautiful people - womyn hotter than me for sure and the vibe was nice. Actually classy, stylish and a good vibe. I will be going to Kardinals xmas party tomorrow night at Indian Motorcyle so I will let you know how it goes.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

@^ I've never seen you party, but I have an idea on how you would roll and Warner ain't it ;) Have fun with Kardy.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004 11:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warner parties are full of stush people. It's okay, but the music ain't all that great. I remember Studio, though. You are right on point about this particular blog, thoguh. I think, though, that when people go to clubs, it's a bad policy to base our expectations on what we'll find in the club via BET, King Magazine, or any other media vehicle. Look your best, be friendly, but remember to have fun. If you're trying to "walk up inna di video ca yu cute gal" (remember that song), sorry, you might not have that great a time.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005 12:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home