Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Apprentice - Bye bye Kevin

I don't usually comment on reality TV, although I love it, but did you watch tonight's Apprentice?

During the interview process, Donald Trump's business associates said that Kevin was ambitious to the point of aggression...

Pardon me?

Wayne Brady could have been interviewed by that panel and, because he's a Black man, be deemed 'aggressive'.

I am so disgusted.

If Kevin had been a slacker with no ambition, the same interviewers would have grumbled that Kevin wasn't ambitious enough, therefore ill-equipped to run one of Donald Trump's organizations.

It irks me that these people couldn't find anything truly wrong with the brother, so they had to play the 'scary, aggressive Black guy' card. Like the girls played the 'scary, crazy, aggressive Black woman' card with Stacie J.

Tell me you fired Kevin because he didn't perform well on the tasks. But you who watched it heard it to: "I instantly liked Kevin, but..." Let me add in the rest, Urban Sista style: "I instantly liked Kevin, but last year was just too darned close with that negro Kwame almost winning. We can't have any field hands running the massa's big company. Oh Lord, he's dark-skinned too! He's just too scary and aggressive. It was one of the most scary moments of my life!" (Thank Stacy -- another jackass -- for that line.)

It's like your run-of-the-mill racist telling you, "I have Black friends!" Yeah, but would you let one of us run your company?

Please. Don't try to justify your wretchedness with by telling Kevin, or any other Black person, you like them, but I would never let you run a company 'cause you're too aggressive.

I'm not necessarily vex that Kevin got the boot (Kwame didn't win last season, but if we're honest, who's more successful? Kwame or Bill?). I vex about the reasons given, because, obviously, they were flawed. Kevin was too educated, according to the panel.

But wait.

Since when was it a crime to have a proper, well-rounded education? I can't see how having both a business and law degree can harm you in the corporate world. And, of course, the aggression, which I could rant about all night: historical stereotypes, how the media plays into this, North American corporate culture and the Black professional.

But, dammit, all of you already know what the deal truly is.

Argh.

It's so annoying and frustrating to hear people in power finding bogus excuses to deny worthwhile people of colour positions they deserve. And, yes, we need our own organizations to run and rule as we like (go Kwame!), but until then, I will comment.

Kelly, I can understand him being in the final two. He's a worthy candidate and, while quite stiff a person, he's proved himself. But Jenn? I had liked girlfriend at the beginning, but she never, NEVER!, stood up and proved herself. When she took praise for Ivana's idea during the Levis' task, I learned Jenn was a wretch. (Although, I always knew Ivana was a wretch and I was glad her tail was blazed up. Idiot.)

Anyway, reality TV or not, it goes to show you -- as I have always said -- life, success and promotion is NOT based on merit. You aren't promised the job, even if you are one of the best candidates. And if you're Black? As your mom told you many times as a child: "You've gotta be twice, sometimes three times as good as these people to get half as far."

Momma always knew best.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

Like you said they would have found some excuse. He was either going to be aggressive or lazy in their eyes. You just cant win.

Friday, December 10, 2004 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

That's the point. Not whether Kevin was fired or not, but the reason for his firing. They fired him before they fired Sandy on the basis that he has too much education and is 'aggressive.'

That term really burns me -- really, after watching the show for like two months, can you call Kevin aggressive? Ambitious, yes. Energetic, yes. Maybe unfocused if you say that he's 'course correcting'.

Give me a good reason where I can agree and say "that makes sense." Not a stereotype -- all big Black men (or small Black men for that matter) are aggressive and scary.

Friday, December 10, 2004 9:42:00 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

actually, i was struck by that whole ambition to the point of aggression - i found it an interesting comment... but i can't say i whole heartedly agree. kevin's approach is slightly combattive. even when asked by the trumpster himself if he was more creative or a better leader than kelly, kevin's immediate reaction (and the expression on his face) was that of combat. the brother's nose is big already, but don't you ever notice the flare that happens when he's put in a position to defend himself? come on, black people! it's way too easy to jump on the race bandwagon. all we need now is dudley laws and dari meade in here banging drums and chanting about "hot damn, kev's the man!". why does it have to be about race? it's about who's best for the corporation, period. that's why kelly made it. and if you ask me, jenn has a well-deserved spot in the top two. i don't like her either, but she was wily and cunning and if she "slipped under the radar" then power to her. it got her exactly where she needed to be. top two. may the best (wo)man win!

Friday, December 10, 2004 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

OOOPS! that openign sentence should say "...but i can't say i DON'T whole heartedly agree..."

Friday, December 10, 2004 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger ladyabena said...

Thank you for not being afraid to say it! In this 2004 we have become much too settled as a society thinking that we have come a long way as a society. Sure many people have worked hard for change but others have worked hard to maintain the hierarchys that are in place. Racism is prevelant in every facet of our society. Even more so now than ever. Now they get to pretend like the problem has been solved and capitalize on the profit potential of 'black' culture. I will save the rest of my speech for my own blob someday when I have the energy to be reminded of the negativities of racialization and the 'isms'. Until then, I challenge everyone reading this to ask themselves what steps they take to fight racism? Urbansista, thanks for atleast noticing it:(

Friday, December 10, 2004 2:33:00 PM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

Marlo Girl, I must disagree.

My annoyance isn't with whether or not Kevin was the man for the job, but with the reasoning for them to fire him. In the interview, he wasn't -- at least what they showed -- any more 'aggressive' than Sandy was in the boardroom when she and Jenn went at it.

I just think it's too easy an excuse to say that Kevin is aggressive and that's why he was fired. It's just too easy -- Kevin did well on all the tasks where he was Project Manager and was a team player. He made mistakes along the way and if they had fired him because to those, I wouldn't have said one word. But when Black plus determined equals aggressive, I can't be down with that.

As for Jenn, the woman took praise for Ivana's idea. Yes, this is corporate-style business, but come now. If Ivana had done that, they would have hung her up to dry, for real.

Friday, December 10, 2004 5:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew they weren't going to have it the same as last year so they had to find a way to oust him. Personally, I don't like any of the members of this year's candidates - especially the yes man and yes woman who were selected for the final two.

Sunday, December 12, 2004 11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home