Friday, November 10, 2006

False airs: I’m not fond of pretentious people

I am back. I am! Work, sigh, is keeping me away from the blog. But I will get more regular, trust :)

I consider myself a pretty laid-back kinda chick.

Some things people do annoy me to death and make me want to pimp slap them into submission.

Other things make me throw them a side-eye glance and shrug my shoulders. One thing that makes me seethe with anger and annoyance are people who think they are better, greater or smarter than the rest of us. The ones who wear their ‘false airs’ like a badge of honour.

Over the years I’ve learned a few things about people in general:

  • Some people truly believe their own hype, thus making them think that they are all that. Although most of them don’t know a damned thing, but, of course believe they know it all.
  • Some people want you to believe their hype to make them feel better about their station in life. A lot of times, these people don’t know a damned thing either, but they’ve managed to fool a lot of people with their ‘false airs’.
  • Some people are downright igrunt (yep, that ain’t a typo, that’s how I wanted to spell it).

It’s a damned shame that more people aren’t transparent and just themselves. No, they have to go on about what they know, who they know and how much they know about everything.

There is a particular party promoter in Toronto whose e-mails, laden with adjectives, adverb, synonyms and all kinds of things is quite pretentious. Pretentious to the point that the so-called ‘beautiful’ people who he’s catering to can’t be bothered to go to a jam because everyone’s trying too hard to be all that.

Granted, I did attend a party this summer and it was nice. I think, more than anything, having Starting from Scratch deejay was more the reason for the amicable crowd than this dude pretending that he’s the representative of the upscale, sexy people.

And there are the people who can tell you about the latest couture outfit, hottest club or restaurant or the do’s and don’ts of networking, but chew with their mouths open.

Chupse.

False airs are not cool. You don’t have to pretend that you’re the s**t and try to make other look/sound/feel foolish. That’s igrunt behaviour right there.

So if you're getting uncomfortable or agitated reading this blog entry that because you are a pretentious fool. Stop it. It's not cool and it's annoying as hell and someone will call you out just now.

On another note, I read that 60 Minutes reporter, Ed Bradley, died of leukemia. I enjoy watching 60 Minutes, I think they do a good job reporting the issues, but I was enormously proud, especially as a child, to see a Black man doing his thing. He was a great journalist and will be truly missed.

RIP, Mr. Bradley.

3 Comments:

Blogger -_- said...

Hi sistren!
Good to see you posted something.

HA HA @ this post, yes, mi know seh a who yuh a chat bout... "parties for the grown and sexy." Whatever.

Anyway, I still upset that Mr. Bradley died. I was the only one in my newsroom who was visibly upset. Then again, I'ze the only Black one. STEUPSSSSSSSE.

Friday, November 10, 2006 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

Yeah, his emails are now considered spam. Please stop telling me how grown and sexy you are. lol =) I don't need to play dress up and then hike my dress so I can give a man proper jukes either. hahahaha

Friday, November 24, 2006 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

LOL!! Yuh know yuh does have to be ready to give two hard juks when yuh ready.

Friday, November 24, 2006 7:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home