Thursday, February 09, 2006

Where's the outrage?

Chantel Dunn was an upstanding girl -- she wasn't involved in any trouble and she didn't keep poor company. She had just received a promotion at work and, according to the Toronto Star, Chantel dreamed of attending law school.

She had dreams.

Unfortunately, she won't be able to achieve them because earlier this week, the 19-year-old was shot to death after a basketball game in the north end of Toronto.

My question is: where are all those loud talking politicians who had gun violence as part of the election campaigns? They were up in arms about how violent thugs were toting illegal guns and killing innocents in the heart of the city.

When 15-year-old Jane Creba was killed on Boxing Day while shopping with her family on Yonge St. it seemed that all of Toronto was angry and on the warpath to end gun violence.

Things are eerily quiet right about now.

Stephen Harper's too busy to say anything because he's organizing his new government. Paul Martin's quietly licking his wounds. Where's Jack Layton, champion of the urban dweller? Well, he's congratulating himself and his cabinet for winning those extra seats in the election. Where's police chief Bill Blair vowing to take down the criminals? Where's Mayor David Miller? Oh, he's at the TTC press conference telling me that I'm going to have to pay more to travel by stinking bus.

Where are the throngs of concerned citizens creating makeshift memorials at the site of the murder? Where are all the protests and marches?

Where's the outrage?

Man, Chantel's death wasn't even one of the top stories on last night's news. I think that's when I really started to get angry about it. Jane Creba's death was a hot topic for a good three weeks -- Chantel's been dead, what? Three days? And already it's archived as murder #3 or 4 for 2006?

Last night on CityTV, I heard about the Grammys, the young woman and child who drowned to death in Bradford this past weekend and the TTC fare hike before mention of Chantel's death.

It's kinda eye-opening.

I know I shouldn't be shocked or surprised that Chantel's death is now a footnote and didn't create the public fervor that Jane's death did -- although it is the same situation: innocent teen gunned down in public because she was at the wrong place.

It feels like people don't give a damn when a Black youth is killed. Maybe it does take a young white girl to die to make people care about what's happening. Maybe it's alright when it's only our children and young people being killed. Maybe Jane's death stayed top news for so long 'cause it was election time.

I hope not.

I hope no more Jane Crebas or Chantel Dunns have to die for people to remember.

I remember you, Chantel. And I remember you, Livvette. And I remember all of the people who are being killed over ignorance in this city -- that includes you, Jane.

Rest in peace.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the states we laugh about D.W.B. (Driving while black) and the injustices attached to it. Perhaps the new talk topic should be D.W.B. (Dead while black) - either way the ramifications are serious but seemingly no one REALLY cares.

RIP -- we will remember.

A well thought out and well written post.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

i just kissed my teeth when i heard it--i knew it wasn't going to make papers internationally--or even in vancouver--as it did when jane creba was shot.

it's all bullshit, and i swear, sometimes it really makes me hate the world.

Friday, February 10, 2006 7:32:00 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

I read the newspaper everyday and I didn't hear about this until I read your blog. This is getting no recognition outside of Toronto. I am in communications so often times I read a few newspapers. Nada. Must have been buried. Definitely not on the cover of the paper in Vancouver marlo girl. Not like last time.

Why don't we matter??

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

My sister made a very good point last night: we complain to each other, but why don't we approach the media. So, that's what I did. I wrote the Toronto Star and CityTV. Will it change anything? Who knows. But at least I can call them and Canadian society out on their double-standard.

Friday, February 10, 2006 1:15:00 PM  
Blogger -_- said...

Thanks for this, U-Sis. I didn't know about it until my little brother told me, and someone commented on it on Starfoxx's blog.

An outrage!!

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:50:00 PM  
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

I read about it in the excaliber, which is york's newspaper. it pisses me off because that could have been me. the worse part is her punk ass boyfriend jumped out of the car while the shots were being fired. they were aiming for his ass, and she is the one who ends up dead. smh...

Saturday, February 11, 2006 1:40:00 AM  
Blogger Jdid said...

the more things change the more they remain the same

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

My soul hurts for Chantel, her family and friends. tiffaniereid, stay strong. The media may not remember Chantel, but we do.

Friday, February 17, 2006 9:16:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Sista said...

Thanks Jellibeenz for the comment. We need to bring this inconsistency up whenever we see it. For real.

Monday, February 20, 2006 9:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home