Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Thoughts from all over

It’s been a while – I’m not on hiatus, just busy. These two stories stuck out for me over the past week:

'All-ages' incident sparks concern

Who else heard about the little 12 year old that was sliced in downtown Toronto at three o’clock in the morning? It was after an all-ages dance at a nightclub. Yes, a full nightclub. A nightclub that I would take my 30-year-old ass to if I cared to.

Chupse.

Sparks concern? It should spark giving the child and her parents some hard lashes. Not to mention the girl who cut her and the people who own the club and the party promoters. All of them need a tail cutting.

Man, I’m so disgusted by this story. Back in the day when I was a preteen, we had all-ages parties. They were at community centres and they ended by 11 or 12 o’clock. I don’t believe anyone over the age of 18 was allowed in, but some nasty guys would wait outside to pick up the youths when the party was over.

Now, I couldn’t even twist my mouth to ask my parents if I could go to a school dance when I was 12, furthermore any all-ages party. My mother would have shredded my tail if I thought to ask her to go to party at a nightclub that didn’t end until the wee morning hours. Although I’m an adult who pays my own bills, my mother still doesn’t approve of me going to clubs.

At these new-fangled all-ages things, it truly is all-ages. So, a 15-year-old girl could be grinding up on a 30-year-old man or be propositioned by a 25-year-old and it’s all legal.

Something just doesn’t sound right about that.

The fiancé says that kids are more mature these days and, while it’s not right, go to clubs and want to act like adults.

I believe kids think they are more mature and yes, they want to act like adults. But they are children and they think like children. A 12-year-old doesn’t know what to do when a grown man tells her exactly what he wants to do with her in the bedroom, although she may think she knows from all the Teirra Mari and Li’l Kim songs she’s heard.

So, this little girl is out at the club and has a run-in with another little girl who slices her.

Bare foolishness.

My question is: where the hell are the parents of children who are out at two and three o’clock in the morning? I don’t have any kids yet, but believe me, at two o’clock you better have your little tail in your bed. If you want to dance, turn on your radio and listen to the live-to-air shows like I did. If you’re out at that time, I will be with you and if I were to catch you somewhere you weren't supposed to be...

Well, it wouldn't be pretty.

Child Protective Services needs to look into that family, because if her parents knew where she was and were OK with it or they weren’t at home to know where this preteen was they need serious help.

Nightclubs need not hold anymore all-ages parties. Children are children and should be treated as such, not like mini-adults. So at school on Monday – if they’re little tails are even there ‘cause they may be too tried from partying all weekend – they can talk about “Ooh girl! You missed the jam at the club this weekend!”

Please.

And we wonder why kids are so messed up.

****************************************

Caribana group angry over funds

Now, Caribana is coming up in a few months and already confusion has started over funding. The City of Toronto is refusing to fund the festival because the Caribbean Cultural Committee (the group that runs Caribana) cannot give the city an account of how it spent taxpayers’ dollars last year.

This is not the first year that the group couldn’t show their audited books to the city.

So, Toronto has refused to hand over the cash and the Caribbean Cultural Committee is fretting. My take?

It serves your backsides right. I have no sympathy for them. The group put themselves in this situation by not doing the right thing.

How after almost 40 years of putting on the largest festival in North America, you can’t get your ish together and show the City your books? I am a taxpayer and whether it was Caribana, the Greek parade, St. Patrick’s Day parade or the Santa Claus parade, if you are using my tax dollars to put on something, I want to know where the money is going and it better not be lining your pockets.

I love my Black people, but sometimes they get me down ‘cause it makes all of us look as if we can’t do anything.

What the Caribbean Cultural Committee needs is a good purging and an influx of some business-minded young people. Trying to do things the way you did them back home ain’t gonna wash. Do you know those clowns got on TV news and cried racism.

Chupse.

Is it racism that someone expects you have clean accounting books to show how you’ve spent money? Or should money just be given to you and you do with it what you want without any accountability? Man, I hate that crap. Black people face enough prejudice without this bunch blaming their incompetence on racism.

I understand you’ve been under-funded, but this is how things work: You show the City your books and your budget and they can figure out whether or not what they gave you last year was enough.

If you can’t tell them what the hell you did with the money they gave you last year, what makes you think they’ll give you money this year? Because Caribana brings in plenty money to hotels and restaurants?

Don’t fool yourself. The festival will and is going on. Toronto is not trying to give up those tourist dollars -- oh no, that's hundreds of millions of dollars coming into the city. The mas band association is taking over and will put on a carnival this August.

So maybe next year you’ll get your act together and have a good financial plan for the city officials. If not, too bad for you. Get your stuff together ‘cause you’re not ready – after almost 40 years – yet.

5 Comments:

Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

"Now, I couldn’t even twist my mouth to ask my parents if I could go to a school dance when I was 12, furthermore any all-ages party."

Ayyyyye!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

The real problem now a days is that parents want to be 'friends' with their children. Forget that ish. When I have a child I will be the parent and they will be the child and I won't give a damn if they don't like me.

Now Magazine had a great article on how to fix Caribana. It is embarassing that the board thinks they should not be held accountable for how they spend tax dollars. Caribana brings millions into the city, but at the same time you need to be accountable for public funds. Get a damn accountant. It seems fishy that they don't want to open up their books.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:45:00 PM  
Blogger Jdid said...

totally agree wth miz jj on the kids thing, boy seem like everyone talking about that.

regarding caribana I dont even think it is so much wanting to do it like at home. I think its more the ones in those positions are corrupt and besides that just not good at organization. I know certain people aint get pay from caribana fro two years back up to now. pure lawlessness. plus you ben in this thing for 40 years you shouldnt be dependent on government you should be able to fund this thing by now without their help.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:59:00 PM  
Blogger Campfyah said...

The problem with parents these days is that they aren't much older than the children themselves and hence these kinds of issues. The parents, club manager and promoter should all be held accountable for her death. What ever happen to the pre/teen parties held in the local YMCA or school gym form 7-10 PM?

As for Caribana, we West Indians can't seems to get our acts together in the Caribbean farless N. America. They always wanna do things fly by night and not be held responsible. They need auditing.

Thursday, March 30, 2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

What! A 12 year old at a night club. I have a 17 year old and she has never been to a club. I would kick her butt. They are too dangerous and if you don't know how to handle that type of stuff, you would end up getting cut or something worse. Child Services need to look into this. Parents neede to raise their children and forget about being nice and friendly and the new mom. They are ruining these teens...

Saturday, April 01, 2006 12:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home