Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Keep on keepin' on

It seems like many of my brethren and sistren are going through the same issues that I’m facing on the employment front. It’s really easy to just complain, but instead of constant complaining, it’s important that we try to make a change. And, also be grateful that we are employed because there are many people out there who would be happy to be in our positions. That’s not to say you can’t point out foolishness when it rears its ugly head.

So to help you keep on keepin’ on while we’re working, here are a couple of things that have helped me get through.

Psalm 23 – For the Work Place

The Lord is my real boss, and I shall not want.
He gives me peace, when chaos is all around me.
He gently reminds me to pray before I speak and to do all things without murmuring and complaining.
He reminds me that He is my Source, and not my job.
He restores my sanity every day and guides my decisions that I might honour Him in everything I do.
Even though I face absurd amounts of e-mails, system crashes, unrealistic deadlines, budget cutbacks, gossiping co-workers, discriminating supervisors, and an ageing body that doesn’t co-operate every morning.
I will not stop – for He is with me!
His presence, His peace and His power will see me through.
He raises me up, even when they fail to promote me.
He claims me as His own, even when the company threatens to let me go.
His faithfulness and love are better than any bonus cheque.
His retirement plan beats every RRSP plan there is!
When it’s all said and done, I’ll be working for Him a whole lot longer and for that, I bless his name.

The senior pastor of my church put together a list about choosing the kind of day you’re going to have. Often we fret, complain and moan about life – but think about it like this: some people didn’t wake up to day. So, if you’re reading this, you’re better off today than a lot of people.

It’s my job to choose what kind of day I’m going to have:

  • Today, I can react angrily to the alarm clock going off or I can be thankful I woke up.
  • Today, I can complain because the weather is rainy or I can be thankful that the grass is getting watered for free.
  • Today, I can lament over all that my parents didn’t give me when I was growing up or I can be thankful that I made it this far.
  • Today, I can whine because I have to go to work or study or I can be happy because I have a job or place to study to go to (Preach it, pastor!)
  • Today, I can mourn my lack of friends or a significant other or I can think about the day that I discover a meaningful relationship.
  • Today, I can feel sad about the heating/car/Visa bill or I can be thankful that I have a furnace, private transportation and some credit.
  • Today, I can be annoyed by the person singing off-key in church or be thankful that I can hear. (And, you know the Bible says, make a joyful noise – not tune – noise.)
  • Today, I can grumble about my health or I can rejoice that I’m alive.
Today stretches ahead of me waiting to be shaped. And here I am, the sculptor who gets to do the shaping. What today will be like is up to me. I get to choose what kind of day I have.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself.

B.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 1:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done!
R.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 8:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home